Up to Speed....

Since I have short term memory loss (early onset of "Chemo Brain" without the medication), and I can't remember who I talked to, I have decided rather than try to keep people up to date verbally I created a blog. This will take some of the pressure off Sherry....

Just to get everyone up to to speed....

February 5th 2008: I found a lump in my breast . I wasn't too concerned about, since I am healthy, I don't drink alcohol or smoke and I don't have any immediate family members with cancer. I figured I better get it checked out anyway. So my saga begins...

February 7, 2008: I haven't been in to "really" see a physician in several years. When you work for doctors, you try to avoid them as much as possible, plus you get the benefit of having a physician when you need them, without the office visit. So my first call was to the new office where the PA that I had seen before was located. I told them why I needed to be seen and set up a date to get in. The earliest they could see me was April 2008. Do you realize if I would have kept that appointment I wouldn't have even been seen yet. Then I would have still had to wait to be seen by a surgeon.... and on and on.

February 8, 2008: I talked with a friend and she suggested her husbands partner. I set up an appointment with him for February 20. I guess 2 weeks is better than 2 months.

February 20, 2008: My first appointment with the surgeon. He did a sonogram and saw 2 cysts and a mass that "looks suspicious". He wanted me to get a mammogram and do a biopsy on Friday, February 22.

February 21, 2008: I went in for my mammogram at HRMC. Very cute cape, but it doesn't stay closed very well. That was a bit uncomfortable, and the room was a little chilly! The tech was pleasant....

February 22, 2008: I went back to the surgeon to get the biopsy. The biopsy was a lot easier than getting a cavity filled. Although I would rather have another cavity, than have breast cancer. He drained the cysts and did a core biopsy of the mass. I set up an appointment for March 3 to get my results.

March 3, 2008: I got my results back, and as you already know it was positive for Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, Grade 2, ER+

And so my story begins. It seems as though I have lived on year in just a few short months. The initial shock has worn off, but I still feel like I am just going through the motions. It is hard to think that your body is fighting against you, especially when there aren't any symptoms. Everything about being sick is having symptoms.... headache, body aches, pain, tired.... and so on, but what is a lump in my boob have to do with being sick? So I don't act sick (except maybe a little whacked in the head...) I still get up at 3 a.m. and do my work, go swimming, and coach in the afternoon. I lead the same life I lived before, but now I do research on breast cancer and go to doctor appointments a little more than I like to.

After doing some research and talking to local cancer patients, I decided to follow-up with Dr. Ihde in Palm Springs, CA. She was with the Comprehensive Cancer Center, but recently opened her own office. My appointment with her was set up for March 13. It was much easier to get in to see her, then anybody in Havasu. She basically verified what I already knew and referred me to Dr. Cynthia Leichman, the medical oncologist at the Comprehensive Cancer Center at Desert Regional Medical Center.

My most recent appointment was last Thursday March 27, 2008 with Dr. Leichman. I had an MRI done the day before my appointment, and the results weren't available to her, so she went over some options. If the MRI showed positive lymph node involvement, then she suggested chemo first, then a lumpectomy. I asked her about the Oncotype Dx test, which is done when there is not any lymph node involvement. It can tell to a certain extent whether or not you can benefit from having chemo. I am scared to death of getting "Chemo Brain" and getting fat. Dr. Leichman spent about an hour with Mike and I discussing options and made sure all our questions were answered. She said that she would call me when she got the results of the MRI.

Dr. Leichman called me with the MRI results on Friday. She actually called the home phone at 5:15 pm and spoke Hailey. Hailey told her I would be home around 6:00 pm. I received her call at 6:02 pm. The good news was that there wasn't any lymph node involvement and she would call Dr. Ihde's office on Monday to let them know I would be scheduling surgery. The "not so good news" was that they saw a second tumor. The second one was in the same breast and smaller than the first. It was in close proximatey to the first tumor, so she said that they may still be able to get it out with a lumpectomy.

So.... here I am. I am waiting for a call back either today or tomorrow from Dr. Ihde to set up the surgery. If the surgery results still show that there isn't any lymph node involvement, then I will have the Oncotype Dx test done. If the lymph nodes are positive for ca, then I will go ahead with the chemo.

Comments

Lois said…
Whoa! I'm blogging for the first time!

Sounds like things are moving along really well with new tests and procedures, options, etc.

Keep a positive attitude - you can work off the fat later!

Blessings - Lois
kasa said…
so glad you did this blog....I know you and I know how you are basically a private person and it is nice to know that you have found a way to "talk" about your current feelings and life. I am happy to know that you may be able to skip over the chemo. If you just have the surgery I think and pray that it will all be removed and this whole mess will just become another not so good memory in your life. Just another chapter of the Susan Weber life. Chemo brain....nah..never happen..remember I used to call you my brain. I don't know where you got that info by the way. I have had chemo as you know and my brain was just fine, it is the rest of your tired sluggish physical body that suffers. Weight gain...no! More like weight loss..naseau does that not a gain. I have a good feeling that everything will be just fine. You go girl. You have always been superwoman and supermom. By the way I be you know my username and my password on this blog (lol)
koolage said…
Hi Susan!
Your blog is a wonderful idea, and I'm glad you're keeping busy with all you are going through. I'm also glad you still have a sense of humor as well!
Any time, and I mean anytime, you feel the need to babble I'm here and don't mind listening. It's what gets us through tough times. Babbling helps. So I'm here for you. I'm a phone call away. Keep your chin up, keep positive thoughts and believe. You will get through this. (Tony says practice your guitar. He has new songs for you) hee- Keep smiling.
Your buds, Kate & Tony

Popular Posts