Post Surgery.. waiting for results

The surgery to remove the mass on my thigh went well.  The incision is a little bigger than I thought it would be, like twice as big.  It sure would be nice if they could do an extra "nip and tuck" while they are back there.... I mean seriously, you already have the damn thing cut open, just take it up a notch already! I guess that would mean I would have one saggy ass cheek, so maybe that isn't such a great idea.  I felt pretty good after the surgery, no morphine, so no barfing or migraine! Yippeee!  Evidently I told the doctor I was doing okay, at least that is what Mike informed me. He did have to cut the nerve to get the mass out.  I have some numbness in my lower leg and foot, unfortunately, the incision isn't numb. WTH? Right!?

When I talked with the surgeon before surgery, I asked about the "uptake" of the mass that showed up on the Pet Scan.  He said that a mass the size of mine shouldn't have any uptake.  He seemed surprised when I told him it did.  Evidently he never saw the Pet Scan.  I guess that is why as a patient, although sometimes you may seem pushy or obnoxious, we are the ones with the knowledge of our bodies, procedures... etc. We need to make sure that we don't blindly follow along when something doesn't seem right.  I am not saying "don't follow doctors orders", I am simply saying be proactive with your care.  Mikewitnessed this (again and again) as several different nurses, doctors, techs came into the room and asked the exact same questions.  I felt like a broken record, but I don't assume that they read the chart completely or got the information that I gave to one doctor/nurse passed on to them.  As a matter of fact, they didn't, and I am glad that I made sure they knew that I did not do well with more than a liter of fluid and I did not do well with morphine and yes I don't look like I have lymphedema, but I do.... ad nauseum.

It is day 3 post op and I am feeling okay.  I had to get crutches to move the first few days, I had a slight fever and the incision opened up.  That was with me barely moving.  Luckily I had some steri-strips from 100 years ago that I had Mike put on to keep it closed. It seems to have quit bleeding today and my temp is almost back to normal.

I am supposed to get results next week.  The surgeon said that as long as it is benign, I don't have to come back and see him unless I have problems.  He said he was conservative with the surrounding tissue, so if it is malignant, that will mean another surgery. Fingers, toes, legs and paws crossed...

I also officially start the REAL radiation today... I had to go in yesterday for a "dry run". The room is definitely a lot warmer than the CT room. It isn't quite what I expected.  I thought it was going to be more "exact" for positioning, but I guess they just line the tattoos up and that is good.  I got my third "tattoo" on my chest, still not what I envisioned... no butterfly, stallion or flowers. Oh well, maybe next time.

Comments

Popular Posts